Saturday, January 24, 2009

Forgotten Fathers

Go ahead I dare you.  I dare you to look up "fathering" on the Internet.  I did a google search on "fathering" and came up with lots of unflattering stories about fathers who have raped and killed their children, deadbeat dads that don't pay their child support and other sundry activities.  But when I type in "mothering" I get a much different picture.  I had to search a lot harder to find anything negative.  

Hmmm.... why is that?  Why is it that dads so often get the bad wrap?  I could be mad at the media, but I gave up that habit a long time ago - around the time I stopped watching television (a practice I highly recommend).  No I know that we men are a large part of the blame.  Too many men really aren't men.  Sure they have the appropriate Y chromosome, but being a man, especially a father is so much more than that.  Unfortunately, because more and more sons are being raised without fathers, they are becoming increasingly unsure of what that looks like.  And don't forget the daughters, when they are raised without fathers they have a harder time knowing what fatherly qualities to look for in a man.  Overall when a dad is missing it has it's impact, a topic I will address here in this blog.  

Now I mentioned before that men had some of the blame here, but I think the media has it's fair share too.  I say media because I am not exactly sure who to point my finger at.  However, I believe it is those that say that father's are unnecessary, that they can be easily replaced or that they need to be less like dads and more like moms - call it the demasculization of men (also more to come in another post).  

This blog will talk about fathering and why social policy needs to support it.  Let the debates, uh I mean discussions begin.  

3 comments:

  1. I could not have been more articulate with this subject. I am really interested to see what kind of policy is out there to support fatherhood. When I think of policy about fatherhood, indeed, I think of policies enacted to make sure that fathers pay their child support. It is a pity, because women who do not pay their child support (they are out there) are not nearly as publicized. This is going to be an exciting blog to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many times, in custody cases, it seems like mothers get custody because of the "bad wrap" you are talking about. There is even a local attourney that fights for fathers' rights in custody cases. I like the idea of your blog.
    I would like to see more about healthy fatherhood policy as well. Maybe I could learn a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of healthy fathers...but not at the expense of mothers. You know I worry about harsh pendulum swings in social policy and I would hate a backlash where fathers receive custody when it is in the best interest of the child to stay with mother just because it is the popular policy of the time period. I don't want my children being the guinea pig for new social trends. At the same time, I believe efforts to improve healthy father perceptions could inspire generations of involved caring fathers. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete