Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Read This, It's Controversial

Isn't that interesting that a magazine that calls itself Parenting seems to want to stir up controversy between parents as well as foster negative sentiment towards fathers in general? (as pointed out in this Glenn Sacks article) Ironically I get it. Since I started blogging there is this driving force within me to get people to read my blog, as validated by their postings. Yes I know a narcissistic endeavor, but fun just the same. What I have learned in this process is the way to get a response is to say something controversial. A quick look at the Salt Lake Tribune's frequent headlines goading Mormons will tell you that. You'd think there the reason behind every bad thing that happens in this state - including why my poptart burned this morning.

I diverge. The point is for this magazine to put together some pathetic research (SLOP - Self Selected Listener Opinion Poll) is understandable. But to present it as anything more legitimate than the Enquirer is reprehensible. Granted we here participating in this blog are educated and familiarized with research enough to spot a methodological hole a mile away, but your average reader... probably not.

Interestingly, the Glenn Sacks article goes on to explain that fathers surprisingly spend almost as much as time as mothers in parenting. It also points out that although women average 11 more hours of housework, men average 14 more hours at the office. I also liked the reminder that mom's tend to be the gatekeepers. I thinking if magazines are putting ideas out about how bad dads are maybe some of these moms will feel more justified in keeping dads out. As we know from class research can be our powerful tool, and people who conduct it should do so responsibly.

2 comments:

  1. While I agree the SLOP methodology doesn't help moms or dads, I don't know that Dads do as much as moms. I would say that there are probably as many dads dissatsified with moms as there are moms dissatisfied with dads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just think that the traditional roles of the past are still prevalent in today's culture. However, as time goes and generations pass, I think we could see the trend of the "housewife" and the "Breadwinner father" start to merge into a more egalitarian role.
    Any adult that takes a constructive interest in a child should make a positive impact on that child's life regardless of the adult's age or gender.

    ReplyDelete